A lazy, rainy Sunday is a perfect time for making something. Lucky for me, I have a whole list of new things to make, top of the list being to make a cover for the lamp I got from the flea market a few weeks ago.
I had picked up a cheap glue gun, and some even cheaper fabric from the craft shop, and after perusing a few lifestyle blogs, I was sure I had a good grasp of what I was doing. The only thing was, I wasn’t sure how to do it with that frame: it was such a strange shape, I needed a much more basic one for my first attempt. I also didn’t have the bulldog clips the blogs said to use, but some clothes pegs would be just as good right? I was maybe now a little less sure of what I was doing.
It was then time to use the glue gun, pull the fabric tight, and stick a peg on the ends to hold it, all in a matter of seconds. It immediatly became clear I needed an extra set of hands. Once my helper joined I set off glueing, but it was so awkward, fiddly, and tough, we were both getting a bit flustered.
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. It looked so baggy, and not how I imagined it would look, but for a first attempt it was OK, I could live with it. I had to laugh once I put the light on though – I had not double-backed it so you could see the glue, the border of fabric, and all the loose threads in silhouette. Still, for a first effort it wasn’t that bad, and it was a fun way to spend a rainy day inside.
I still have enough fabric to have another go, which I’m itching to try again at some point soon. I’ll maybe pick up the right materials this time though!